Thursday, July 18, 2013

d1? maybe not...

Okay, last Saturday I was at the Utah State college ID camp. And you know what? I didn't really like it. I have always thought that I wanted to play soccer at the D1 level, but after getting to play on the Aggie fields and spending time with the coach and some of the players, I think I've changed my mind. 

The biggest factor in that decision I think came from talking to one of the current players. At lunch we were split into small groups and got some Q&A time. Some of the things she said I already had a pretty good idea about like, being a college athlete is a full-time job, and you don't have a lot of spare free time, and keeping up with your homework is a monumental task. But the way this player described it made it sound like it wasn't fun. What?! How can soccer not be fun?!?! That was a red flag to me.... She also talked about the coach and her relationship with the team. She said, "no college coach will be your best friend." Which I totally get. But the impression I got from talking to the SVU coach was that he understood that the soccer team is supposed to be a family and he genuinely cared about helping us reach our potential. So I guess that was another red flag.... 

I guess the overall feel was that it wasn't right. Which I'm fine with because I know that's an answer (maybe not the one i originally wanted but still....). Don't get me wrong, the soccer was awesome. I had a great day playing at a fast, intense pace and sweating through not one but TWO shirts. Yeah. It was hot. 

So that's that about Utah State and Division 1 soccer. Cheers peeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment